Friday 12 August 2016

Living the Life of Your Dreams

Life is designed for progression and not stagnation. One of the greatest discoveries you will make in life is this: as you change and improve, things and people will change and improve around you.
As these changes begin to occur, I want you to note that no matter what you want to achieve, your position does not count as much as your disposition. A positive disposition will ultimately guarantee a favourable position.
Let me share a personal experience with you. After I completed my NYSC, I thought getting a good job would be automatic. But like many others, I had to sit at home for over a year.
Throughout that period, I made up my mind that I was not going to worry about my unemployed status though I had not gotten a job for over a year. I said to myself; “I am not going to be unemployed forever, I am taking this as a brief holiday.” I went to my pastor and said, “I am offering to work as a volunteer.”

The moment I broke free from that mindset of not being employed, somebody came to church on a Sunday and said, “I heard that they need a Civil Engineer on this particular site.” I thought, could it be so easy? I applied for the job and two of us were called for an interview. They needed somebody with three years experience, but I was freshly out of school, while the other candidate had the experience. I could not answer most of the questions they asked me because I had not worked practically on a site before. The panel told me, “Mr. Adeyemi, you have not been able to answer our questions satisfactorily. You don’t have the experience that we need.”
I had read then of the power of attitude, so instantly I spoke to them, “Gentlemen, I appreciate what you have said. It is true that I do not have the experience. But as you can see from my results and from the way I am speaking that I am very intelligent. If you give me this job, I will catch up very fast. I am sure I will be able to deliver what you want within the next few months.”
They thanked me and said they would get in touch. Eventually, a few days later, the person who introduced the job to me said they decided to employ the other person. I said it was okay. Then, he came back after a few days and said, “They said they are not employing the other person anymore, they are employing you. The job is now yours.” I got the job. You know what got the job for me? Attitude! I was positive. I raised their expectation. They knew that if they gave me the job, I would perform well because I believed that I was going to perform well.
What do you believe? What you believe is what you will become. Sam Adeyemi

No comments:

Post a Comment